Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm Not Waiting Anymore

Normally, after I watch a game, I wait until I see Manny Acta's comments to make some reaction statements. However, today I feel as though I shouldn't.

This has gotten just ridiculous. NO runs scored. Scoring opportunities were thrown out. Here's what I think is wrong with this team. That is, here is what I would do if I were Jim Bowden. I know there's been a few of these posts already, but why not throw it down from a different slant? A different blogger, maybe some different thoughts.

Outfield:
LF: Keep Dukes exactly where he is. I like what this kid has, and I really wanted to see what he would have done had Guzman gotten on base in the top of the 9th.
CF: Get Bernadina out of there and make Willie Harris your everyday center-fielder. Harris has experience and can actually hit the broad side of a barn. Of course, when Lastings Milledge returns, he goes into center field.
RF: Continue using Austin Kearns. He has to be one of the best right fielders in the game. Sure, his hitting this year has been subpar, but the guy just got off the DL, so maybe he will improve as his health gets better.

Infield:
1B: It's gotta be Dmitri Young. He's been batting really well this year (2 for 2 today!). Yeah, you can question his defense, but you'll see why I put Young here at first and not Boone. I'd put Nick Johnson in here, but since he is unlucky and hurt yet again, I can't. However, when Zimmerman returns at third, platoon Young and Boone.
2B: Bench or trade Lopez. I'm sorry but when you go three for your last thirty-four (.088), that's not good enough for me. I'm putting Belliard in at second because he actually contributes something to the offense.  This is why Young is at first and not Boone, because Boone is more versatile and can play third.
SS: Guzman. No question.
3B: Boone for now, but when Zimmerman returns, you platoon Boone and Young at first so there is some competition.

Pitching:
I like the starting rotation as is. However, when Shawn Hill can return from the disabled list, I'd like to see someone go in favor of Collin Balester. My choice is Odalis Perez, because I'm concerned about how long he can keep up this very good season. His history has been shaky but I'd like to keep him around in case one of the other starters falters.
The relief pitching I really do hope gets better once Ryan Wagner returns to the bullpen. Not having Chad Cordero is a huge loss, but I hope Wagner can provide some stability. When Wagner comes back, I'm sending Ayala or Colome to the minors so they can get a wake-up call. I like what Rivera has been doing, I like this Shell guy, and Rauch has been a strong point.

Well, there you have it. Comment away. My FULL Tim Redding interview will be up on Monday, what with the day off and such.

No comments: