Thursday, May 22, 2008

Observations, etc.

Went to the Nationals game yesterday against the Phillies - and they got drubbed. Full story on http://www.dcsportsfan.com

But on the way I noticed some things that I want to note and even complain about. When the Yellow Line pulled into Huntington, it was absolutely PACKED. I am talking about the MOST CROWDED I have ever seen the Yellow Line. Ever. I tell you what, I believe that the higher gas prices are finally going to drive people onto the Metro. Then we boarded the Yellow Line. New train. With the interior signs that are SUPPOSED to display the next station and what side the doors are going to open on. Unfortunately, because Metro plans poorly, they placed an OLDER train without that technology ahead of it. So no working signs. The Green Line was PACKED TO THE BRIM when we took it to the stadium. I mean there was NO possible way to stuff any more people on that car. Then after the game, we left late because we met a couple of bloggers (http://nats320.blogspot.com). And there was virtually nobody at that Navy Yard station waiting for a train. And when it pulled in from Anacostia - it was also quite full. This was at 10:30 in the evening. Guess what - signs didn't work on the front two trains. Unacceptable for the amount of money Metro paid for these cars.

Then on the Yellow Line, it was less crowded - and the signs were working! Yes, they were finally working! Except - when we left Pentagon, it stayed on Pentagon until the Airport, at which time it finally started working. A trend I noticed when I took the Yellow Line the other day. It stayed on Pentagon until we left Pentagon City, I believe. Another thing Metro should iron out. Bring this system into the 21st century. All it takes is a little bit of change, and it would make a much better rider experience.

No comments: