Saturday, May 24, 2008

Going Green


Yes, that's right, you read the title right. I sat down last night to unpack some of my school things from all the boxes and I ran across the first year book that I was supposed to read for freshman English (a first semester course). A Ravaging Tide by Mike Tidwell. Naturally, I blew off the assignment - still receiving a B in that class - and didn't worry about it. Then last night I decided to read a bit of it. Which turned into almost one hundred pages as the morning stretched to about 2:30 am. And so I've decided. This summer I am going green. Much to the dismay of my conservative friends, it's time to change things. I've read this book and it's swayed me. So my first step in my going green process is swapping out all of the incandescent bulbs in the house and going to compact fluorescent (CF). That picture there, that's a compact fluorescent bulb. Costs about 3 dollars apparently. And they could last up to FIFTEEN TIMES longer than the incandescent ones. And give off less heat. I could go on but that would be boring. See Wikipedia for more.

So I'm going to have the talk with my parents. Not that talk, mind you, but the kind of talk that could save them some money in the long run. That's a talk they like to hear while paying for two out of state tuitions.

No comments: